A History of Quality
For over 50 years Vie de France has distinguished itself in the baking industry as purveyors of the highest quality, most truly authentic European breads and pastries. (A History of Quality)
However, more than the painstakingly-developed flour blend, or the brick ovens imported stone by stone from Europe, Vie de France excellence has resulted from the collective efforts of highly capable, deeply dedicated individuals, we call “our team” . . . and when you join our team, you make us even better!
Your Part on the Production Team
Our Production teams create our products from scratch, each playing a crucial role of the process.
Vie de France Production jobs include:
- Croissant Shaper
- Shipping & Receiving
- Pan Washer
- Machine Operators
Our Alexandria facility is a “frozen plant” where our highly acclaimed croissants are produced from scratch and either frozen or baked as “Ready To Eat” before being packed and shipped.
Beyond our Productions Teams we also have teams in Shipping, Quality, Research and Development and Maintenance in the plant.
Respect and Dignity
Vie de France is a diverse and inclusive workplace where management is accessible and our employees are treated with fairness, respect and care.
No harassment – of any kind – is tolerated.
Our positions are “on-your-feet” jobs that, based on the position, require team members to physically perform pushing, pulling, lifting, bending, kneeling, walking and standing. To be eligible for hire, applicants must also pass a drug test and background check.
- Stand for extended periods of time
- Frequently lift, carry and stack 25-50 lb. pans, pallets, containers.
- Pushing/pulling wheeled racks that weigh up to 250 lbs.
- Pulling and pushing filets of bread onto racks
- Bending/stooping required to reach the bottom of racks
- Picking up finished goods cartons that weigh up to 30lbs
- Stacking finished goods cartons that up to 30lbs
- Reaching to palletize empty filets
Shift Work and Overtime
The Vie de France manufacturing facility in Alexandria, VA operates three shifts daily with varying hours based on your position. Schedules are posted weekly.
- Day (generally between 6:00 am and 2:00pm)
- Night (generally between 2pm and 10:00pm); and
- Overnight (generally between 10:00pm and 6:00am)
Night and Overnight positions are heavily sought. Night Shift premiums are paid for hours between 6:00pm and 6:00 am. Overtime, including weekend work, is sometimes required.
- Starting pay varies by position and the location. All production employees receive annual pay increases and premium pay for working night shifts or in Lead positions.
- All positions provide time for meals in the middle of the day, along with 10-minute rest breaks in the first half and second half of the work day.
- Uniforms are provided and laundered for our employees. Multiple sets of white shirts and pants, affectionately referred to as “Bakers Whites”, are distributed for employees to store in provided lockers.
There are many reasons our workforce has stayed with us an average of 10 YEARS – with a third of the workforce averaging over 25 YEARS! A big one is our benefits.
- Sick Pay
- Personal Day
- Eight (8) Paid Holidays
- 401(k) Plan with Company Match
- Two medical plan options
- Company-paid Life insurance,
- Vision, legal and credit union.
Our Production Values – Safety, Safety, Safety
As a foodservice facility Vie de France upholds high standards of sanitation and food safety. The health and safety of our customers — and our reputation—depend on it. Vie de France takes food safety, hygiene and sanitation seriously.
For this reason, at vie de France we follow GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICES that have requirements such as:
- Traditional “bakery whites” uniforms must be worn by all production employees.
- Hair restraints, hair nets and beard guards are required.
- Fingernail polish is discouraged; if worn, gloves must be used.
- Fake fingernails, false eyelashes, or similar personal accessories that could fall into the product are prohibited.
- Rings, earrings, facial piercings, watches and other jewelry, may not be worn on the job.
- Non-slip, low or no heel, closed-toe shoes must be worn.
- Employees must wash their hands thoroughly before starting work and after each absence from the work area, including when returning to their work area after visiting the restroom.
- Gum chewing and use of tobacco products are not permitted on the production floor.
Personal Safety from Accidents or Injuries
The management of Vie de France Yamazaki is deeply concerned with the safety, well-being, and health of its employees. We know there can be no success unless our team members are cared for. Therefore, all employees observe these General Safety Rules to provide for their safety and the safety of their co-workers.
- As with all federal and state laws, Vie de France Yamazaki complies with OSHA Regulations.
- No employees may operate any machine or piece of equipment unless given proper authority, instruction, and training.
- Machine guards and protective devices have been installed for your protection. Before starting to work on any machine or piece of equipment, employees must make sure that guards are in place and protective devices are operational.
- Warning signs and tags that point out a hazard must be obeyed
- Work areas must be kept clear.
COVID Safety Precautions
- Masks – Clean masks are provided to every person entering our facility each day. Team members are required to wear masks at all times, excluding meal breaks.
- Social Distancing – Vie de France has modified its processes, where feasible, to enable Team Members to maintain 6 feet of distance from one another. We have installed protective barriers on the production floors and in common areas where distancing is not possible. We have resources denoting six-foot distances throughout our facilities.
- Daily Temperature and Symptom Checkpoints – Every person entering our facilities will have their temperature checked and undergo a Covid-19 symptom screening.
Union Membership is an option for employment at Vie de France in our Alexandria, VA facility.