Twice-Baked Croissants are becoming the new craze! And Cheesecakes just got a whole lot more interesting!
12 Croissants (day old works best!)
Simple Syrup; recipe follows
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
2 tsp almond extract
Graham Cracker Crust
1 3/4 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs (about 15 full crackers)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Cheesecake Filling (make from scratch or use a mix)
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fresh Raspberries (or other fruit)
Graham crackers, crushed
- Slice off a small « cap » on the top of the croissant. Pull out a small amount of the crumb to make a well. Gently press crumb down and against the wall of the croissant, creating a shell to bake the cheesecake in.
- Prepare Graham Cracker Crust: Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of crust mixture into each croissant and lightly press into bottom and slightly up the sides of the croissant.
- Prepare cheesecake filling: Spoon filling into each croissant to be level with cut top. Brush outside and tops of croissants with the simple syrup. This provides a beautiful shine after baking.
- Preheat convection oven to 300°. Bake Cheesecake Croissants on a lined baking sheet for 20-25 minutes, depending on size of croissant. You can place the top cap on the croissants during baking or off to the side to place after adding fresh fruit. If you are baking the Cheesecake Croissant with added toppings such as fruit, strusel, crumbs, curd then add the topping and cover with the top cap before baking.
- Finish: Drizzle with simple syrup, caramel, chopped nuts, dusting of powdered sugar, edible flowers, or whipped cream. Keep refrigerated and serve chilled.
Bon appétit from Vie de France !